Something that helps me approach Jesus with proper reverence is to read this description of Him:
- …among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. Revelation 1:13-18
Some ways we can show honor and proper respect to God:
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength realizing that Jesus counts our obedience to Him as love for Him.
- Love others with God’s love.
- Yield yourself fully to Him as Lord. Submit to Him.
- Exalt Him far above anyone or anything else in your life.
- Praise Him joyfully with spoken or written words! Sing to Him with all your heart!
- Thank Him all throughout the day.
- Desire to know Him deeply. Feast on His Word
- Trust Him!
- Be still before Him in anticipation rather than rushing ahead with your own plans.
- Reverence that He holds all power and that He reigns in sovereignty over the universe.
- Stand in awe of His majesty, justice, goodness, love, mercy, and holiness.
- Ask God to show you any sin in your heart so you can get rid of it and maintain fellowship with Him.
- Desire to live a holy and obedient life – not by your power, but by the power of the Holy Spirit working in you.
- Hate sin.
- Hunger to learn more about His wisdom, His Word, and His character.
- Delight yourself in the Lord.
- Approach Him with great humility and lowliness, realizing He is King of kings and Lord of lords and you are “made of clay.”
- Build your life on His ways.
- Allow Him to transform you to be more like Jesus.
- Love the Body of Christ and work for the love and unity of His people.
- Set your heart on things above not on earthly things.
- Be friends with God not friends with the world.
- Acknowledge that God’s Word is the only source of absolute truth.
- Build your life on Jesus and on His Words.
- Be willing to do anything He asks of you with joy.
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27
“The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.” – Timothy Keller
This is not a list of ways to earn salvation or to “earn God’s love.” It is not about legalism or checking boxes. This post is about the kinds of things we want to do because we have new life in Christ and we love Him and long to honor Him in every way we possibly can. Each suggestion is based on Scripture. If we are in Christ, He has brought us from spiritual death to spiritual life!
Everything good in us is about His finished work on the cross on our behalf and His work in us daily. He changes our hearts so that we want more and more of Him and we want more of all of the things that draw us to His heart. Our old sinful nature was crucified on the cross and buried with Christ. We have been raised to life with a new nature in Christ and now we are alive to God and no longer slaves to sin (Romans 6)! Our job is to love Him, trust Him, receive all He has for us, and to yield control to Him as Lord. He gave all of Himself for us in love, now we give all of ourselves to Him in love.
If you want to know Jesus and how to be right with God now and forever, please click here.