A pic from the Maroon Bells area near Aspen, CO from a few weeks ago.
What a summer it has been! I’m so grateful for having a few weeks to unplug from ministry and to really focus on the Lord and on my family. I definitely needed that more than I could have imagined.
My prayer partner encouraged me to speak life in the area of my health, not to speak negatively the way I had been doing. I had been saying things (to myself and to others) like:
- Life would be so much easier if I didn’t ever have to eat.
- I can’t eat most things, they will make me sick.
- If I eat that, I will be in trouble.
- I have this disease and that disease and they are incurable.
She reminded me that our words are powerful – they have the power of life and death. If I am speaking negatively over areas of my life, I will see negative fruit in those areas. I knew that. I have purged so many areas of my life of negative words and thoughts in the past. But I was convicted that there were several areas where I had been speaking negatively that I hadn’t even noticed – my diet, my health, some things about my son’s school, and another area or two.
- The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Prov. 18:21
I also saw that although I had weakly asked God for healing in the past, I didn’t have much faith about it. One of God’s operating principles is that He does things for us in in proportion to the amount of faith we have in Him.
- After Jesus had entered the house, the blind men came to Him. “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” He asked. “Yes, Lord,” they answered. Then He touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith will it be done to you.” And their eyes were opened. Matt. 9:28-30
I have been reading through the Bible this year and was in 2 Chronicles about three weeks ago when I came across a verse that just jumped out and grabbed me. King Asa had been a godly king. A good king. A king who wanted to please the Lord and who did what was right in God’s eyes so many times. He saw God bless him mightily for many years. But in his later years, he trusted a treaty with another king instead of trusting God – the result of which was that he had war against his kingdom for the rest of his reign instead of the peace that Judah had enjoyed the rest of the time he was king. Then he got sick, very sick.
- In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was diseased in his feet, and his disease became severe. Yet even in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but sought help from physicians. 2 Chronicles 16:12.
I thought, “With all of my health issues, where have I looked for help? Have I truly ever sought God wholeheartedly about all of these things? Or have I been primarily trusting in doctors and Western medicine? How much have I relied on my pharmacist training rather than on the Lord over the years? Then when Western medicine didn’t work, I put my faith in holistic medicine, a holistic doctor, a special diet, and supplements. It helped somewhat, but I have never been set free from all of these diseases. What if God has some lessons for me spiritually in this that I have been missing?”
I decided to lay all of these things before the Lord and invite Him to show me any wrong thinking and any sin in my heart that may be contributing to my sickness in my particular situation.
Last year, Greg bought a book for me by Andrew Murray, one of my favorite Christian authors, called, “Divine Healing.” I hadn’t read it yet. But I decided that while we were on a family vacation would be the perfect time to dive in – free from distractions.
Andrew Murray lived in the 1800s – early 1900s and was a Christian pastor in South Africa. He is known for his incredibly deep writings, having written over 240 books. Two of his books, “Humility”and “Absolute Surrender,” have been life changing for me. (They are available as free audio books or $0.99 Kindle books on Amazon on the links provided).
“May not a single moment of my life be spent outside the light, love, and joy of God’s presence,” was his prayer. “And not a moment without the entire surrender of myself as a vessel for him to fill full of his Spirit and his love.” – Andrew Murray
Andrew Murray experienced a health crisis that stopped his ministry for two years. They were “the silent years” because his throat was affected and he could not speak. During that time, He pressed into Christ more deeply than ever. And, eventually, he was miraculously healed by the Lord.
Murray has a very scriptural approach, in my view. Although, I do wish he had addressed Paul speaking to Timothy about “taking a little wine” for his stomach because of his frequent illness (1 Timothy 5:23) and maybe a few other issues a bit more. The topic of healing seems like sometimes it can get a bit crazy these days. So we definitely want to be on guard to check anything any spiritual teacher has to say against scripture. But anything that jives with sound doctrine and scripture, I want to receive! I invite you to check out his book and what the Bible has to say about the topic of healing. Please compare everything Murray or anyone else, including me, may say and compare it to God’s Word.
I saw that some of my thinking needed to change over the past few weeks as I have been away from ministry and just soaking in the Lord’s presence, in His Word, and in fervent prayer. I am still working through reading through the book a second time and hashing out my thoughts with the Lord in prayer.
I don’t claim to understand everything about this issue. Not by a long shot.
I don’t know what the future will hold. But I have taken some big new steps in faith toward what I believe God desires me to do. I want to receive absolutely everything that is from the Lord and absolutely nothing that is not of Him in every area of my life. I do know that God is very good and that I want to trust Him more and more and I want to praise Him for the rest of my life and all of eternity!
I decided on July 13, 2017 that I would make some changes by faith:
- I will stop speaking negatively to myself and others about my health and about food.
- I am going to fast from my supplements, at least for a time, until l know for sure what the Lord desires me to do.
- I will seek to eat relatively healthy things, as a godly steward of my body, but I will not stick religiously to the extremely restricted diet I was on.
- I want to thank God for my body, for eating, and for healthy food.
- My purpose is to be fit for God’s service alone, not to be well just so I can do whatever I want to do.
- My faith must be in the Lord and my focus on Him – not on earthly things or myself.
- I will praise and thank God for any food set before me and receive it with gratitude and joy.
- I will ask God to show me if any of the illness I had been experiencing was due to sin in my situation and that He might expose that sin and heal me for His glory. (I did see a lot of sin in my heart – faith in other things besides Him, unbelief in Him, worldly thinking, human wisdom, negativity about my health, etc… and I repented.)
God may lead you slightly differently. And that is fine! My desire is that we might seek Him wholeheartedly in great faith. That is the main thing.
I have been utterly amazed at God’s goodness and miracles!
My health issues have been non-existent the past few weeks since I began this new approach.
I have eaten things that I haven’t eaten in over two years. And I haven’t had all the usual reactions. THAT IS AMAZING! I am so excited to share this new thing the Lord is doing in my life and the resource of this book for any who may be interested. Please rejoice and praise God with me at how the Lord has been healing me! May each of us seek to yield ourselves fully to Christ and to receive all of His provision and goodness for His glory!
Thank You, Lord, for Your goodness and blessing. How can I ever thank You enough for all You have done for me? May You alone be greatly exalted here!
Thank you for being on this journey with me. What a joy! Perhaps my story may be a blessing to you.
- Radiant has experienced similar divine healing. She was almost an invalid and had severe health problems for many years. She was also very spiritually oppressed because she had received many lies about God, herself, and others from the enemy. Check out a bit of her story in this post. I plan to share more from her next week on www.peacefulwife.com.
- FreeinChrist was experiencing severe illness but has been divinely healed from the Lord as she began this journey to become the woman God called her to be. I hope to share her story of healing in the near future.
- To see what the Bible teaches about the cause of disease, check out the bottom of this post, or see the comment section.