Some of you may like to journal a lot – like I do. Others may not be into long journal entries, and may prefer to jot things down very briefly. Some people are more visual than verbal and like to keep pictures of people they are praying for in a little envelop or in a pocket in their journal. Some people prefer to have a prayer calendar and write requests and note answers to prayer on the calendar. Whatever style is fine! But there is just something amazing about writing out our praises to God, our thanksgiving, our confession, and our prayer requests.
- It helps me to stay focused instead of allowing my mind to wander.
- Sometimes I write down verses that really speak to me to help cement them in my memory. They stay with me much longer that way than if I just read them one time.
- It is a powerful faith-building exercise to go back and look at your prayer journal and to write down how God answered various prayers.
- It is helpful to look back to see where you where spiritually in really dark times and in times of great spiritual strength. The things you struggled with in difficult times are the times you most likely grew the most. And the times you were very strong in Christ are times to go back and reflect upon when you are feeling weak.
- God may use something you have written to allow you to minister to someone else going through a similar trial later.
- God may even use your prayer journal to bless your future children as you share excerpts with them and how God answered prayer.
I would like to remind you – the Word of God (the Bible) is nourishment and food for your soul. Your spirit NEEDS that nourishment every day as much as your body needs food every day. And what an incredible privilege we have to own the very words of God and to have access to that in our homes all the time! There are many believers around the world who would be killed or imprisoned for owning a Bible. Let’s make the most of this treasure while we have it. Prayer is also an incredible honor. To think that the holy God of the universe allows us to have access to Him 24/7!?!? I mean, it would be crazy generous for Him to allow us to have access once in our lifetimes or once a year. But He desires our fellowship and wants us to abide in Him – to be close to Him spiritually and emotionally all the time – receiving all of our spiritual energy from Him every moment. Let’s make the most of this priceless gift, my dear sisters (and brothers)!
If you like to prayer journal (or prayer jot) – you are welcome to share the blessings you have experienced!