It’s easy to get hung up on wondering what God’s will is for me about specific situations like: what job to take, what career path to choose, whom to date, what man to marry, what church to attend, what school to attend, what house to buy, where to live, what missions to support, etc.
God’s primary will for me is to glorify Him – to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength and to love others as He loves them!
There are actually many places in the Bible that spell out more of God’s will for me spiritually. I think often His will has a lot less to do with specific geographic places and specific jobs and a lot more to do with my attitude, my faith and trust in Him and my gratitude for all He has done for me. The specifics are important, but when I tune in to Him and really seek His face above all else – then He will be able to direct me to exactly what He has in mind. For God, a lot of His will is about my character, priorities, desires, focus and my relationship with Him – my willingness to sacrifice my desires, my will and my dreams. He longs to see me be willing to take up my cross daily and follow Christ, submitting to His will and saying, “Not my will, but Yours be done.” Our powerful God can do ANYTHING with a believer who is submitted and yielded completely to Him like this! Get ready for an incredible adventure!
Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
WHAT DOES THIS PASSAGE PREPARE ME TO DO?
My dear friend found this connection a few weeks ago and was so excited as she shared it with me. We often focus on Ephesians 5:22-33 about marriage. But this passage above is what precedes the passage on God’s design for the marriage relationship, parent/child relationships and master/slave relationships.
She said we are able to be empowered to do all that God asks of us in His design for marriage and family relationships by really living out this preceding passage. I had never thought of this before – but it makes complete and total sense to me!
(There is much more than this one passage that describe God’s will for me – but this is a great place to start! To learn the specifics about God’s will for me in marriage, I study Ephesians 5:22-33, I Peter 3:1-2, Titus 2:2-5)
LET’S APPLY EPHESIANS 5:17-21 TO PREPARING FOR YOUR MARRIAGE! WHAT IS GOD’S WILL FOR YOU RIGHT NOW, WHERE YOU LIVE… TODAY? HOW DO YOU PREPARE TO LIVE OUT GOD’S DESIGN FOR YOUR SINGLENESS, YOUR POTENTIAL MARRIAGE AND YOUR LIFE?
- I am to understand God’s design/will/purpose/dreams/wisdom for my marriage and not be foolish – tearing my man and relationship apart with my own hands and words. God’s design is EXTREMELY different from the world’s design for marriage, femininity, masculinity, family and faith. I must study God’s Word, cleansing my soul of the polluting influence of our culture, and building ONLY on the foundation of Christ and His Word. I want ONLY His will and ALL of His will for my relationship, future marriage, my family and every part of my life – nothing else will do!
- I am to be sober, not a slave to a chemical or alcohol addiction that would lead me into sin and keep me from God’s empowering presence.
- I am to be filled with the Spirit of God, empowered by Him, strengthened by Him, close and intimate with Him, spending the lavish amounts of time necessary to develop a rich relationship with my Lord, knowing His heart and His mind, being in tune with His Spirit.
- I am to speak to my man and other believers with encouraging words that honor and praise God (not preaching), singing songs of praise to God around the house that my husband and children can hear. My language in my relationship is CRITICAL! “Don’t let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building (your husband) up according to (his) needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to (your husband), forgiving (him) just as in Christ God forgave you.” Ephesians 4:29-32
- I am to sing and make music in my heart to the Lord including in my relationship and all throughout the day every day.
- I am to give thanks for everything God has given me in my man OR in my singleness right now and in my life as it is exactly right now, today. I must be willing to look and search for every gift, no matter how small. And when I write it down in thanksgiving or speak it out loud and name it, I am empowered to experience joy!
- I seek what is best for my guy (if I am in a very committed relationship), placing his interests and his desires/plans/goals/dreams above my own – unless what he wants is ungodly or sinful! And he MUST belong to Christ with all his heart or I have no business dating/courting/marrying him!
Help us to understand what Your will is for us today and embrace all that You have for us with open arms and deepest gratitude! Make us into godly women who bring great glory and honor to Your Name and who draw many to Your kingdom!