Hang on, ladies! This is a painful one – but necessary. It’s going to step on all our toes. But we have to deal with some unpleasant and critical issues to get to the intimacy we long for with Christ and our husbands! Please approach this post with a prayerful attitude of yieldedness and openness to God’s voice – asking God to expose any ungodly attitudes in our souls and uprooting them – making room for His Spirit to have full reign in our hearts!
WORRY IS DESTRUCTIVE TO ME
MANY of us are consumed by worry on a daily basis – maybe even every waking moment. I used to be. I would just bounce from one issue to another – worrying all the time. It was AWFUL. I hated it. But I didn’t know how to stop.
It’s pretty awesome to be able to say that is how I WAS. I praise God for changing me! I sure couldn’t change myself. Worry is a temptation at times for me now, but I don’t live with that worry channel on in my brain all the time anymore. I know how to quickly flip the channel. I didn’t realize before how much choice I had about worrying and what message my worry sends to my husband and to God. It actually is possible by the power of God’s Spirit for us to live without worry!! What incredibly GOOD NEWS!
WORRY IS DESTRUCTIVE TO MY RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD AND MY HUSBAND
The bottom line is – when I worry, I am telling my husband and God that I don’t trust either of them and I need to take over myself. I am living as if I think they are incompetent, irresponsible, weak, impotent, incapable and unable to handle things without my help.
The problem is – a lot of things I would worry about were things that were actually out of my control. Trying to control the uncontrollable is EXHAUSTING and extremely stressful! I was overwhelmed and overburdened. That made me irritable and grumpy on top of being worried.
A GENTLE, PEACEFUL SPIRIT THAT DOES NOT GIVE WAY TO HYSTERICAL FEAR
Now, God has developed in me a spirit of godly femininity that communicates to my husband but PRIMARILY to God the messages:
- I trust you
- I have faith in you
- I am confident in you.
- I am not worried.
- I am at peace because I know you have things under control.
- I feel safe with you.
- I know you have wisdom that I don’t understand and that’s ok.
- I don’t have all the answers.
- I’m going to lean on your wisdom and not depend on my feelings.
- I’m going to run to the shelter of your protection and wait patiently to see what you decide to do.
- I am willing to cooperate with your leadership.
- I respect your decisions.
- I will confidently tell you my feelings and desires and I trust you to make the best decision for me and our family based on your understanding of my needs, wants and what is best for all of us in the longrun.
WHAT DOES JESUS SAY ABOUT WORRY?