To idolize something or someone is to set it in my heart about Jesus. It is one of my greatest desires and passions. I can have LOTS of idols and not even realize it.
Some of the biggest idols today in our culture include:
- A boyfriend/girlfriend
- Other people’s approval
We can honestly turn anything in this world into an idol. All we have to do is set it on the throne of our hearts. Make it our primary ambition or aim.
When we put something or someone else on the throne of our lives and make that thing lord, we are not properly honoring and recognizing Jesus as Lord.
Any time we do this, it is destructive to us spiritually. And if we idolize a person or relationship, we will destroy that relationship.
We can idolize many days like birthdays, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, Easter, Halloween, weekends, holidays, and special events like vacations.
How Can I Tell If I Idolize A Certain Day?
- I pin a whole lot of hopes and expectations to that day.
- If I don’t get what I want and expect from others, I become very upset, disappointed, and maybe even devastated.
- I tie my sense of wellbeing, identity, and security to what people give me or do for me on this day.
- I make the day all about what I want and my desires.
- I ignore any other good things or blessings in my life and judge everything based on my expectations for this day.
- I think my life is worthless if I can’t get what I want.