Persecution of Christians has been intensifying in recent months and weeks. My precious brothers and sisters in Christ, let’s join hands – virtually, at least – through the internet and pray together in one accord for those who are being persecuted, for the church in our local area, the church around the world, for those who are persecuting the church, and for the lost! There is so much power in prayer as we join our spirits together and lift up these great and pressing needs with one heart, one mind, and one voice as the Body of Christ filled with God’s Spirit!
Almighty Lord, Maker of the heavens and earth,
You alone are God. There is no other. You created everything that exists from nothing. We believe that “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1). You designed the universe. You set the laws of physics into place. You designed mathematics, biology, relationships, family, marriage, love, language, art, music, color, sound, and all of our senses. You are the Giver of good gifts. There is no evil in You at all. All that You create and all that You design is good. Sin has come into this beautiful creation and marred it terribly, Lord. That is why we see such suffering, disease, and death all around us. Those things were not Your good design. But You are able to take things that are in shambles and chaos because of sin – and make something so beautiful for Your glory. You are the God who knows how to create something good from what is formless and void. We fully trust ourselves, our spouses, our children, our churches, our towns, and our countries to You!
WE PRAY FOR THE BODY OF CHRIST
- We pray for a Holy Spirit-filled core prayer team to begin to pray fervently in each of our churches – starting with ourselves.
- We pray for leaders, pastors, elders, deacons, and teachers who will honor the Bible as God’s Word.
- We pray for leaders, pastors, elders, deacons, and teachers in each of our churches who are men of passionate, deep, devoted, persistent, faithful prayer – who walk in Your ways and who live lives of integrity, love, honor, obedience, and truth that please You by the power of Your Spirit filling each of them. Use them to lead Your people into a deeper, richer, fuller prayer life and into much stronger faith – according to Your will and by Your Spirit’s power.
- Let us individually and corporately humble ourselves greatly before You and let us exalt You alone! Let us become less and less and let Christ become more and more!
- We pray that our congregations might become people of fervent prayer who greatly desire and hunger to know and love God and the Bible more and more.
- We pray for great spiritual growth and holiness for our church leaders and for our congregations, for us to be transformed by Your power or Your greatest glory.
- We pray for God’s Spirit of unity in each of our churches and families.
- We pray for healing for the singles among us, that they might find Your wisdom, Your power, and Your direction, that they might navigate the mess that is the single’s scene in our churches today. We pray for Your Spirit to radically change the culture among believers that there might be some godliness, sense of order, beauty, and holiness restored to our singles from teenagers on up into adulthood. We also pray for Your Spirit of unity to create one out of the two where there is a schism between singles and marrieds among us.
- We pray for much healing, for unity and understanding between men and women in Your body.
- We pray for the complete destruction of any racism, favoritism, cliques, or bigotry in the body of Christ.
- We pray for God’s people to live holy lives by the power of the Holy Spirit – regenerating us for His glory.
- We pray for God’s people to see our sin clearly, to be convicted by Your power, to mourn and grieve with godly sorrow over our sin and the sins of our communities, states, and nations.
- We pray that You might empower Your people to truly repent of every wrongdoing in our lives, hearts, minds, and motives that offends Your holiness.
- We pray that the demonic powers that are holding many hostage and in bondage in our midst, in our churches, on my blogs, and in our communities might have to flee because of the power of Jesus Christ in our midst and because we are fully submitted to Christ as LORD of ALL and then we can resist the devil and he must flee. (James 4, below)
- We pray that You might raise up believers in each of our churches to care for the orphans, the poor, the widows, the sick, those who are being persecuted for Christ, and the oppressed in our communities around the world.
- Lord, we yield all that we have and all that we are to You! We hold back nothing for ourselves! We seek Your face, Your will, Your glory, and Your power in our lives and in the lives of our families, our churches, our neighborhoods, our cities, our work places, and our nations.
- Increase our faith! Give us the biggest faith possible!!!! We long to be people of great faith and we trust You to increase our faith greatly, Lord!
- We pray for more workers for the harvest!
- We pray for our brothers and sisters around the world who are being persecuted – that You might provide for their needs and increase their faith and boldness, let many come to Christ in Syria, in Egypt, in Libya, and in the Middle East, in China, in Africa, in North Korea, and everywhere where the church of Christ is being persecuted. Let the members of ISIS and those who are persecuting Your people come to know You and bring You great glory!
- We pray for those families who have lost loved ones who have been martyred for Christ – bring them Your presence, comfort, peace, and provision. Let us as the church around the world rally around them and embrace them, pray for them, to learn about what they are going through, and give to organizations that can help them (Voice of the Martyrs, Open Doors).
- Let us all strive and wrestle together in prayer for the 200+ Christian men, women, and children who have been kidnapped by ISIS in the last week or so – for their deliverance and safety. Let them remain faithful to You, Lord! Use them for Your glory! Show us how we can bless them and their families. Use us to help meet their tangible needs. We pray for Your miracle to release these precious people and to return them to their families and to safety.
- Raise up prayer groups of believers in every city, town, and village around the world to cry out to You for their cities and their villages for salvation and a Great Awakening!
- We pray for divorce to be stopped among believers and for healthy, vibrant, godly marriages for Your glory! We pray for Your power to heal broken marriages and broken people that our marriages and families might display the power of Christ and of the Gospel and that our marriages and families might draw many to Jesus!
- We pray for Christian parents to set godly, holy, obedient, Spirit-filled examples of love for God and for each other and their children and obedience to God.
- Let our leaders and all believers be heartbroken and grieve deeply over our sins and the sins of our communities.
- Call us as one body to conviction, prayer, and repentance, Lord!
- Give us pastors according to Your heart who will feed us with true godly knowledge and the truth of Your Word even when it is not popular or politically correct.
- Burden our hearts and the hearts of all believers for the backslidden condition of the church, the corruption among our leaders and members, the moral decay of our people and government, and the lost souls of our people. The problems we are facing as people and nations are spiritual problems and Jesus is the only solution! Let us be on our faces – mourning the condition of our churches and our countries. Politicians cannot fix the mess we are in. Money cannot save us. The economy cannot rescue us. Changing health care won’t save us. The military cannot save us. Lord, please change us! Change our churches! Change our countries! Our greatest need is You, God!
JAMES 4:1-12 NIV
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?