When we know where we stand with God as men and women as believers in Christ. Then we can have a starting place to know how to rightly relate to one another.
What Does the Bible Say?
1. Women and men are equally created in the image of God.
- Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over (the animals). Gen. 1:26
2. Women and men were both equally good and perfect when God created them.
- God saw all that he had made (including man and woman on day 6), and it was very good. Gen. 1:31
3. After the Fall of Adam and Eve, apart from the salvation available to us through Jesus Christ, women and men are equally sinful.
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Rom. 3:23
- All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isa. 53:6
4. Women and men have equal access to salvation through Jesus.
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom. 5:8
5. Women and men are equally loved by God and followers of Jesus are equally adopted as children of God.
- So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 1 John 4:16
- See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. 1 John 3:1
6. Women and men are equally valuable in the Kingdom of God, as are all people.
- There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal. 3:28
7. Women and men both have full access to right standing with God and holiness through Jesus.
- There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. Rom. 8:1
8. Believing women and men have equal access to the holy God of the universe through prayer 24/7. We are all seated in the heavenly places in Christ.
- But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, Eph. 2:4-6
- But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6:6
11. Men and women are equally joint heirs together in Christ.
- Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered. 1 Pet. 3:7
- And if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. Rom. 8:17
There are more points I could cover, if I had time. We have equal access to God’s Word. We have equal access to the promises of God. We have equal access to most spiritual gifts. This was all revolutionary for women!
Women in the Old Testament, and even most men, did not have such free and direct access to God. They had to go through priests, especially the high priest. And even he only had direct access to the Holy of Holies one day per year. Jesus has opened the Holy of Holies up to us all! To all who love and trust Him.
In so many ways we are equal in Christ and have equal access to countless blessings as believers. And yet, in the church and in the family, men and women have different roles. That is a good thing.
We are equal in value as people, but we are not the same.
We shouldn’t want to be the same. It would ruin God’s beautiful design!
Women and men are not identical. We are not interchangeable.
We are all human but men and women have profound differences. Thank God for those differences! We should celebrate them!
In God’s economy, the stronger protect the weaker— spiritually, financially, physically, etc… Those who have positions of God-given authority/leadership are to humbly, selflessly, lovingly provide for, nurture, and shepherd those in their care. Those who lead are accountable to God, and other authorities on earth, for their stewardship.
In Christ, as we live in the power of the Holy Spirit, our roles are not oppressive, in the least! They are freeing!
I hope to talk more more about roles in upcoming posts.
We have value because we are made in God’s very image, because He loves us more than we can imagine, and because Jesus died for us to make a way for us to be in right standing with God.
For more detail on today’s topic, please check out this post.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Are you confused? Angry? Upset? Joyful?
Are Men and Women Equal in God’s Eyes? by www.gotquestions.org
What Does It Mean That Humanity Is Made in the Image of God? by www.gotquestions.org
Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by Wayne Grudem and John Piper