Today, let’s talk about the beauty of a godly woman who doesn’t yield to fear (1 Pet. 3:4-6) This is something the Lord has been teaching me, personally, this year through quite a few trials. I am still learning, but He has brought me a long way! I just had to share these treasures with my precious sisters (and brothers).
My natural temptation is to look at difficult circumstances, frustrating actions/words from other people, or the news and to completely freak out when bad things happen. My temptation is to react in fear and to run and hide or to try to protect myself in my own wisdom. But when fear is my motive, I will make destructive choices every time.
To be fearless, I must keep my focus fully on Jesus and depend on Him to lead me and to do the heavy lifting!
To be fearless, I need to know who Jesus is and know who I am in Him. My security has to be in Him alone.
I don’t have to be shaken. I don’t have to crumble into worry, fear, and anxiety.
Even when things do not go the way I had planned, and I don’t understand what is happening, and even when my heart is hurting and broken, I can stand on the Solid Rock of Jesus Christ. He alone will never leave me and never fail me. He will sustain me in supernatural ways – even in the midst of my greatest fears. He is my Good Shepherd. He has provisions for me that I can’t know specifically ahead of time. But I can know that He has them and He knows what to do! He has ways of handling circumstances, people, and my own heart and mind that are vastly superior to any scheme I could devise.
I am in the palm of God’s loving hand!
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 1 Tim. 1:7 ESV
Fear is not the abundant life Jesus intends for us to live. His victory over sin, death, and the grave provides a victorious life. He gives us His own Spirit. He gives us His presence. He gives us access to the very Holy of Holies in heaven – 24/7!?! He gives us the death, burial, resurrection, power, and authority of Christ. He gives us thousands of great and precious promises! Why should I be afraid?
If we could only grasp even just the following promises God gives us in Romans chapter 8 alone, what spiritual strength we would have!
- There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Rom. 8:1
- For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. Rom. 8:6
- For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons. Rom. 8:15
- (We are)…heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. Rom. 8:17
- The Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. Rom. 8:26
- The Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. Rom. 8:27
- We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28
- For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, Rom. 8:29
- If God is for us, who can be against us?He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Rom. 8:31-32
- No, in all these things (various hardships) we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. Rom. 8:37
- For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom. 8:38-39
If I am willing, each new scary thing that happens is an opportunity for me to learn to stand more firmly on God’s Word, His love, and His truth. It is a faith-stretching moment. It is a chance to lay my specific fears down before God and to entrust them to Him. It is also a chance to lay my life down as a living sacrifice to Him (Rom. 12:1-2). It is an opportunity for me to invite God to work supernaturally for His glory. It is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me to shine for Christ in the darkness and to experience the miraculous provision of God in that exact situation.
I have an incredible Savior and Lord who is going to accomplish His good purposes in my life and in this world as I trust Him!
Transform us. Melt away our fear with Your supernatural, amazing love. Lift up our heads. Let us see that You are coming soon! Help us use our time wisely and let each of us be prepared to stand before You without regrets. Empower us to be the godly women You call us to be. Let us love You wholeheartedly and love others with Your love. Use our relationships to display Your love. Let us share the Gospel and love and life of Christ with those around us.
Let us be faithful to all that You desire us to do. Empower us to be good stewards of all of the resources, talents, and gifts You have given us. Help us become women of fervent prayer, women who know the Word and handle it rightly. Use us to stand in the gap for our families, friends, churches, communities, nations, and the world. Use us – in the power of the Holy Spirit – to help storm the gates of hell to reach those who are perishing. Use us to be salt and light in a decaying, dark world.
Make each of us fearless in Christ by Your power and for Your glory!
Francesca Battistelli’s –The Breakup Song (breaking up with fear)
What are some ways God has shown you to be fearless? We’d love to hear about it!