A number of prominent women – college professors and women in the mainstream media – have been quite vocal lately about that they believe women should hate all men. They point to many examples of men who mistreated women, who sexually abused them, who assaulted them and raped them. The examples they give are truly awful. There is no doubt that there are many men who have done horrible things against women. That is extremely wrong and evil. God hates violence, rape, abuse, and every kind of sin men may commit against women. Of course, God also hates every kind of sin women may commit against men, too.
As women who profess Christ, what are we to do?
Let’s test what these women are teaching against Scripture, the only source of absolute truth, my dear sisters!
HOW GOD DEALS WITH SIN
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23).
Sin is anything that falls short of the holiness, perfection, and glory of God. It is anything that deviates from His goodness and His perfect will. We have all sinned against God and other people. We have all fallen short of His standard of holy perfection and are in desperate need of the Savior. Men and women.
God hates sin. All sin. God hates sin so much that – in His holiness, righteousness, and justice – He cannot tolerate any sin in His presence. The wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23).That is why we as sinners, on our own, cannot enter heaven and we are condemned to hell if we don’t have the Savior. God doesn’t want us to go to hell, though. He longs for us all to be with Him in heaven forever. God had to come up with a way to deal with the sin He hates so that He could separate the sin from us and have the chance to be with the people He so dearly loves.
- Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6
That is what the cross of Jesus is all about. It is where the mercy, grace, and love of God meet the righteousness, holiness, wrath, and justice of God. This is the only way to salvation. It is the only way we can be made right with God. It is all about what Jesus, in His holiness, did for us that we could not do for ourselves. He overcame our sin with His divine love, not with hatred. How humbling is that!? He loved us enough to die for us to rescue us when we were still His enemies and we hated Him.
HATING PEOPLE IS NOT GOD’S WAY
We should have righteous anger when anyone is wronged, especially those who cannot stand up for themselves – men, women, the poor, the elderly, children, orphans, the unborn, and anyone else. We should hate sin like God does. We should seek to use our voices, our influence, and our power to guard people from harm. We should seek to elect leaders who will help enact laws that will protect the innocent and punish the guilty. We should seek to build governments that will protect all people from violence, rape, injustice, and abuse. We should address and confront sin in godly, appropriate ways.
However, women hating men is not the answer to the problems in our culture or in our families.
Men hating women also will not heal the brokenness we are facing today in our society and families. In fact, hatred will only bring more pain, more dysfunction, more division, and more hurt for everyone. Genuine repentance from our sins and our willingness to individually yield our lives to the Lordship of Christ Jesus is what can bring healing for us all.
MASCULINITY AND FEMININITY ARE GOOD GIFTS FROM GOD
Masculinity is God’s design. So is femininity. Masculinity, in and of itself, is not toxic, in spite of what some in our culture may say. Masculinity and femininity are beautiful, powerful, and precious gifts that, when used rightly, point us to the image of God and to the gospel of Christ (Eph. 5:22-33).
We need strong, godly men as leaders in our communities, churches, businesses, government, and families. Getting rid of masculinity, as some propose today, will hurt everyone. Women, men, families, marriage, children, and society all depend on healthy, godly masculinity and femininity to thrive. Let’s address the massive spiritual issue in our hearts – our sinful nature. That is what needs to die. That is the real problem. If we seek to completely annihilate masculinity, especially God’s design for masculinity, we will hurt our societies, relationships, families, and children in ways we cannot imagine.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom. 12:21)
Those who know and love Jesus display the fruit of His Spirit in every interaction – His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal. 5:22-23). When we have Christlike people who know the Lord, we will have real peace. We will treat each other with mutual respect and godly love. Then our communities, businesses, government, churches, families, and our world can be a safer place for us all.
Some basic truths from God’s perspective:
- The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Prov. 8:13
- But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. 1 John 2:11
- If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 1 John 4:20
- Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matt. 22:36-40
- Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. John 14:23-24
- Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8
About eternal life and hatred
- Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15
- “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.” Matt. 5:21-22
Sin includes things like:
Pride, unbelief in Jesus/God, idolatry (loving other things/people/ideas/desires more than we love God), greed, addictions, drunkenness, trusting ourselves or things other than God, cursing, hatred, disrespect toward God’s Word, lack of reverence for God, vulgar words, course joking, disobedience to anything God asks us to do, lack of submission to the Lordship of Christ, hurtful words, a critical spirit, disrespecting others, usurping someone’s God-given authority, rudeness, selfishness, self-righteousness (believing we are better than other people spiritually), envy, lying, stealing, taking God’s name in vain, vanity, people pleasing, perfectionism, sexual immorality, lust, apathy, lack of love, lack of faith, legalism, false teaching, false religion, and many other things.