A guest post by Simone. I appreciate her vulnerability and willingness to share her story on this incredibly important topic. May we all be reminded of the sanctity and value of every human life, no matter how small:
Having been raised in my faith, I knew that sex before marriage was a sin and I was passionately determined to avoid it at all costs. I read loads of books about purity and chastity, distributed chastity material to teenagers in my church, and even gave chastity talks.
However, one night, my boyfriend and I fell down the slippery slope of temptation and I got pregnant that very first time.
As a well-known woman in my church community, I was ashamed of the pregnancy and knew that I looked like a liar and a hypocrite. Some people lost respect for me and stopped speaking to me. More importantly, I felt ashamed before God because I knew that I had grieved his heart. I humbly turned to my loving Saviour and genuinely repented of my sin and willingly received His compassion and forgiveness.
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
From the moment I discovered that I was pregnant, I did everything I could do to protect, love, and care for my child. I never gave abortion a thought. I knew it was a violent act of murder to a helpless, vulnerable, and precious child of God.
Although motherhood is challenging and demanding in many ways, my son is a wonderful gift from God. I’m sharing my story in this post as an act of thanksgiving to God for his generous mercy and for the life of my son. I pray that it will be instrumental in helping women to appreciate their fertility and value their children.
Satan’s Evil Agenda for Women
Satan has had an agenda to deceive, manipulate and mislead women from the beginning of time. Satan went after Eve in the garden because he knows the power and influence women have over men, children, families, and society.
Today, women are being encouraged to:
- See our own babies as burdens and inconveniences, rather than blessings and gifts from God.
- Seek satisfaction only in our academic and career accomplishments, rather than in raising children and caring for a family.
- View duties related to marriage and family life as oppressive, rather than loving acts of sacrifice that bring glory to God.
- See sexual activity as something that is solely for our personal pleasure (apart from marriage or childbearing), rather than a gift from God that fosters emotional bonds in marriage and brings forth children.
- See our ability to conceive as a burden and a curse, rather than a gift and a blessing.
- Render ourselves infertile through contraception, rather than appreciating and valuing our ability to nurture life.
- See abortion as a right that gives women freedom and happiness, rather than an act of violence, cruelty, and murder.
- See our bodies as our own, rather than as belonging to the Lord.
- See a child in our womb as our property that we can dispose of if we wish, rather than as a precious child of God created in His image for incredible and eternal purposes.
- Be proud of our past abortions, rather than acknowledge that abortion is a terrible sin from which we must repent and seek God’s forgiveness and healing.
- Believe that God only wants to judge and condemn us for our sins rather than forgive us and show us His love.
Now that we are clear on Satan’s anti-life, anti-family, and anti-motherhood agenda, let’s explore God’s perspective on fertility, children, and motherhood.
God Loves and Cherishes Men, Women, and Children
- God sees fertility as a blessing. In fact, his first command to Adam and Eve was that they multiply. Gen. 1:28
- God sees motherhood as a blessing. Proverbs 31:28
- God compares His love for us to a mother’s love. This shows how highly He values women and motherhood. Psalm 49:15
- God creates each child in the womb. Psalm 139: 14-15
- God sees children as a heritage, a reward, and a blessing. Psalm 127:3-5
- God establishes an important plan for each child before he or she is born. (This includes children conceived in adultery and sexual assault.) God loves each of us and has a plan for us no matter how we were conceived. Galatians 1:15, Jeremiah 1:5, Psalm 139: 16
- God is the author of life and wants us to live fully. John 10:10, John 14:6
- Children belong to God from the womb. Psalm 22:9, Psalm 22:10
- God owns our bodies and our children’s bodies. We don’t. 2 Cor 6: 19-20
Our Culture Is NOT Beyond Hope
As we see the pro-death abortion laws gaining ground, it may be tempting to get disheartened and give in to despair about the direction our culture is heading, but there is no need to do so. As Christians, we are people of HOPE and God has given us a clear roadmap to heal our land.
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
God’s people are responsible for the direction of our countries. As Christian women, we need to humble ourselves, pray, seek God’s face and turn from our wicked ways. Then God will heal our land and conquer this satanic agenda.
With God’s wisdom, love, and power, we can be like the Proverbs 31:25 woman who laughs at the days to come and daughters of Sarah who do what is right and do not give in to fear (1 Peter 3:6).
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Check out the bottom of this post to see practical things you can do to make a difference for LIFE and to see the full scripture references from this post.
Books Recommended by Simone about a Christian missionary who adoped 14 children:
- Kisses from Katie: a Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie Majors
- Daring to Hope by Katie Majors