If my life is governed by my sinful flesh, I have yielded my mind, my motives, my heart, my mouth, all that I have, and all that I do to accomplish the purposes of the enemy. I let him speak death through me to others. I accuse others. I berate them. I insult them and seek to divide and create strife. I am filled with hatred. The things that the enemy whispers to me sound good and right. I happily spew out his words, allowing Satan to use my words to seek to destroy those around me. The things God says sound wrong and oppressive when I don’t have the Spirit filling me.
If my life is governed by the Spirit of God, I have yielded my mind, my motives, my heart, my mouth, all that I have, and all that I do to accomplish the purposes of God and to bring Him glory. I let His Spirit speak Life through me to others. I build others up. I affirm them. I encourage them. I speak truth to them in love. I seek to bless them and to create unity and promote godly love. I joyfully overflow with God’s Words, allowing God to use my words to seek to bring healing, light, and hope to those around me. The things that God’s still small voice whispers to me sound good and right. The things Satan says sound wrong and oppressive when Satan is not my lord, but Jesus is.
The voice I hear in my mind the most clearly is the one I am closest to – whether it is Satan’s voice of temptation or God’s voice of righteousness. I will listen and obey the one to whom I belong. The other voice I will not listen to.
HOW TO HEAR GOD’S VOICE:
1. As long as I have sin that I am cherishing in my heart, I am acting in the power of the flesh, not the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is grieved when I hold onto any sin and I lose fellowship with Him until I repent. (Gal. 5, Eph 4:29-30, Ps 66:18) If I am not filled with the Spirit, I have no spiritual power. When I hold on to wrong thinking and sinful thinking – I become blind spiritually and walk in darkness. The poison thoughts have to go so that God’s light can pour in. I must be willing to face the lies I have embraced and tear them out of my life. My old sinful self must die with Christ on the cross (Romans 6).
2. Then I replace the lies, sinful thoughts, and unbiblical thoughts and fixed beliefs I had about God, myself, others, and life with the truth of God’s Word. I build my life on the Solid Rock of Christ alone. I receive all that God has done for me, all of what He says about who He is, who I am, and about His creation. I receive His love. I receive His gift for me on the cross. I receive all that Jesus did to make me right with God as His gift that I can never repay. I receive His Word, His power, and His Spirit. I receive the new Life in Christ that He gives me. I yield my life, all that I am, and my entire future to His control and His Lordship. Now, I am dead to this world and to my old sinful self and I am alive to God in Christ. He gives me the power to live in victory over sin that I could never have on my own! (Romans 6)
3. I seek to abide in Him – to rest in Him, to fill my heart and mind with His Words, to praise and thank Him in my mind all day long, to take my thoughts captive for Him, and to allow Him to continue to transform me to make me more and more like Jesus.
- The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. (Romans 8:6)
- If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. (Psalm 66:18).
Those who love God receive Christ and His Words and live for Him as LORD. Those who are “children of the devil” reject Christ and God and seek to do their father’s will. (See John 8:42-47 for exact verses)
When my flesh is in control, there are predictable negative outcomes in my life. When God’s Spirit is in control, I will exhibit His fruit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (See Galatians 5:12-25 for exact verses).
When I cling to anger, bitterness, and resentment, I open the door to allowing Satan an entrance into my life. (See Ephesians 4:26-27 for exact verses)